Indigo Learning & Media
  • Home
    • Belle's World
    • Version 2
  • Early Learning
    • Travel
    • Lifestyle
    • Fashion
    • Beauty
  • Investigations
    • Investigations
  • Features
  • Blog
  • Download

Home Parenting "GET YO' KIDS!": How To Recognize Child Abuse & Neglect

"GET YO' KIDS!": How To Recognize Child Abuse & Neglect

Lady Khadija 5:24 PM 3


It's gettin' in the city, and I've been seeing something in my neighborhood that enrages me: DIRTY KIDS!!


I don't just judge and talk about people's children. I'm an advocate and educator.


I was trained (and educated) as a caregiver for children up to 12 years old and have all sorts of certifications and experience working with children up to 16. 

Even though it's been a while since I have worked with children in an "official" capacity, I instantly go into teacher mode whenever I'm around them. SPECIALLY when they are misbehaving and behaving

I'm no germaphobe, but I am a snob when I don't know where that dirt came from, so I will take a kid to the bathroom and show them how to wash their hands and clean themselves up. And I WILL NOT let them touch me until they If they refuse, I'll take them to their parents.



But that's just the problem! I can't find any parents!


Where, on earth, are the parents!?!?

Child neglect is a very real and common type of child abuse. t is a failure to provide for a child's basic needs. The bare minimum would be adequate food, clothing, hygiene, AND supervision.


Child abuse and neglect are not always easy to recognize. Even with my training and experience, I'm never sure when to intervene or get the authorities involved. I never really want to get the authorities involved.


Definitions of Child Abuse and Neglect in Federal Law

Congress sets a minimum standard for States for acts or behaviors that define child abuse and neglect.


The Federal Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (C.A.P.T.A.) (42 U.S.C.A. § 5106g), as amended by the C.A.P.T.A. Reauthorization Act of 2010, defines child abuse and neglect as, at minimum:


"Any recent act or failure to act on the part of a parent or caretaker which results in death, serious physical or emotional harm, sexual abuse or exploitation";


or


"An act or failure to act which presents an imminent risk of serious harm."


And remember, that's at MINIMUM!


In Michigan, where I live, the state law is more thorough.


The law defines Child Abuse as harm or threatened harm to a child's health or welfare that occurs through non-accidental physical or mental injury, sexual abuse, sexual exploitation, or maltreatment by a parent, a legal guardian, or any other person responsible for the child's health or welfare or by a teacher, a teacher's aide, or a member of the clergy.


Child Neglect is defined as harm or threatened harm to a child's health or welfare by a parent, legal guardian, or any other person responsible for the child's health or welfare that occurs through either of the following:

 -Negligent treatment, including the failure to provide adequate food, clothing, shelter, or medical care.

 -Placing a child at an unreasonable risk to the child's health or welfare by failure of the parent, legal guardian, or other person responsible for the child's health or welfare to intervene to eliminate that risk when that person is able to do so and has, or should have, knowledge of the risk.


The laws are clear, but the circumstances are not always cut and dry. Sometimes, the parent or guardian might become physically or mentally ill or un t to care for a child. At the time, the parent might be negligent due to drug or alcohol abuse.


These days, I see a lot of people who are non-disabled and mentally fit but don't want kids, so they don't care. This means they don't care for their children.


To help a child you think may be endangered due to neglect, you have to know how to recognize the signs. These are present in both the parent(s) and children. They are usually reoccurring and always more than a single sign.


In the case of the kids in my neighborhood, the ones who provoked this article and my research on Michigan laws - I just moved back here last year, three regular and consistent signs flipped my advocate switch:


  1. They were often unsupervised.
  2. They were always barefoot and wearing ill-fitting clothing.
  3. They were constantly begging for food and snacks.

And I have to mention the 11-year-old that is ALWAYS talking about sex. 



I'm always reluctant to report families because knowing what's happening in the home is difficult. Since I no longer work as a childcare provider, I'm not required by law to make a report of child maltreatment. But I certainly will.


Anyone who suspects child abuse or neglect can make a report, but ones in certain professions, doctors, police officers, teachers, and childcare providers are among the "mandatory reporters."


For more information, see the Child Welfare Information Gateway publication Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect.

Recognizing Child Abuse

Mandatory Reporters are always trained to recognize the signs that may signal the presence of child abuse or neglect.


Neglected Children might:


  • show sudden changes in behavior or school performance
  • have many scars or wounds at varying stages of healing
  • not receive help for physical or medical problems brought to the parent's attention
  • have learning problems or difficulty concentrating not attributed to specific physical or psychological causes
  • always be watchful, as though preparing for something bad to happen
  • lack adult supervision
  • often ask for food or complain of hunger
  • be overly compliant, passive, or withdrawn
  • be needy, disrupted, or overly attached
  • come to school or other activities early, stay late, and do not want to go home


I already told you I saw many of these signs in some of the children in my neighborhood. But, before you take that information and report your neighbor, check for these signs common in negligent parents.


They typically


  • show little concern for the child
  • deny the existence of—or blame the child for—the child's problems in school or at home
  • ask teachers or other caregivers to use harsh physical discipline if the child misbehaves
  • see the child as entirely bad, worthless, or burdensome
  • demand a level of physical or academic performance the child cannot achieve
  • look primarily to the child for care, attention, and satisfaction of emotional needs



As I mentioned, I NEVER want to get the authorities involved, but, sometimes, you HAVE TO.

If you find yourself in that position, wait a day or two (unless there is imminent danger). More often than you know, your neighbors are watching and waiting like you. Document your evidence; you don't have to snap pictures, but you do need to make a thorough report.


And make sure you keep the child's best interest in mind. You may suspect" child abuse or neglect. Unless you have actually witnessed it, it is only an allegation. Removing the child from the home may not be in their best interest.


Look for more information and resources at Childhelp® National Child Abuse Hotline (800.4.A.CHILD).

For more information about where and how to file a report, contact your local child protective services agency or police department.


And, GET YO' KIDS before somebody thinks they might have to report YOU!



Related articles

  • The Case for Adoption in Islam
  • Moms: Your Work Schedule Makes Your Kids Fat
  • So You Think Beating A Child With A Cord Is Good Parenting?
  • Is Obesity A Form Of Child Abuse?
  • The Argument: Is Polygamy Like Gay Marriage?
  • Feds Used a Child Porn Website to Catch Pedophiles

Enhanced by Zemanta
Tags: Articles Parenting
Share:

3 comments :

  1. Lady KhadijaJune 7, 2013 at 6:04 PM

    Dear Empress Chronicles

    It truly does take a village to (properly) raise a child now a days. But when the home is dysfunctional, 'non'-functional, abandoned or simply broken, then their are no villages for the raising of that child. Sad but true, the village is nonexistent, wipe off the map; gone.

    Thus their are very few 'real' safety nets available to catch these children who have fallen into neglect. These children are left to be 'self-raised' by the negative images and experiences that play out in their daily lives without explanation. be it in their homes, on their televisions (for those who still have that privilege), schools (for those who still attend) or in the streets.

    Question:
    What effects does this state of abandonment and/or neglect have on the children of neglect on a daily basis? How will this effect their thought process and perceptions as the enter into adulthood and what mark will it/they leave on our communities?

    We appreciate people like you who DO get involved and DO what they can if and when they can...... But the Question remain.

    Fateen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
      Reply
  2. Lady KhadijaAugust 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM

    Well said! I have known a lot of kids in this situation... maybe because I have often lived in neighborhoods and buildings with a lot of low-income families. Not that having a low income is an excuse or reason for this type of neglect. You're definitely right about the problem being that the parents WON'T care for their kids.
    For a long time I knew two little girls who I was very certain were being neglected, at minimum, and possibly sexually abused. They had actually been in foster care, but their dad had fought to get them back, only because he felt they were rightfully his, and he really provided the minimum amount of parenting for them. I hate to even remember it. And here's the problem... I did EVERYTHING I could think of to try to help! I had them at my house just about every weekend, and in the summer I had them for weeks at a time. When I saw things getting worse, I did call social services, two times. I once even somewhat "kidnapped" them and kept them at my house until I could arrange to meet with social services! I also called and talked to their school social worker, called the police station near their house, tried to contact one of their family members I knew who had once had guardianship of them... and nothing. Nobody helped. They barely investigated. The social services department said they would arrange for the girls to have mentors and for some sort of supportive services for the dad, but even that didn't materialize. Frustrating!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
      Reply
  3. Lady KhadijaAugust 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM

    Thanks for engaging, Angel and sharing your experience.


    It's a tricky subject, sticking up for children. We have to allow the authorities, whether parents, police, or social workers, to be responsible and do their jobs. Sometimes they can't and other's they just won't. And the sense of entitlement among some of the parents is OUTRAGEOUS.


    At best, we must doo what we can. Even if it's just for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
      Reply
Add comment
Load more...

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments ( Atom )
Designed by OddThemes

About the SIte

I'm Khadija, this is Indigo Learning Media.

This season, the American designer will showcase a series of historic objects from the New York museum's.

Stay Connected

Featured Across Sites

  • In everything, Give Thanks: 10+ Things to Always Be Grateful For
  • Keep a jar, box, or can in your home and put money in it every day. When it's full, give it to someone in need. Tell them to pay it forward.
  • View this post on Instagram

    A post shared by Lady Khadija (@ladykhadija)

  • Love
  • Love
  • Give Thanks
  • test again
  • test
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

  • "GET YO' KIDS!": How To Recognize Child Abuse & Neglect
  • All About Butterflies
  • Arabic Letter Racers

Category

Black People Read Early Learning Articles Black History 365 Parenting Teaching Resources

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *